- Tuesday 20th October: Sports’ Prizegiving, 11.20am, Riley Centre
- Thursday 22nd October: Sports and Cultural photos, Riley Centre
- Monday 26th October: Labour Day [Public Holiday] — school closed
- Thursday 5th November: Whakanuia Prizegiving, Taraika, 6pm
- Friday 6th November: Last day for most seniors (Year 11-13)
- Monday 9th November: Senior Prizegiving, Riley Centre, 6pm
- Monday 16th November: NCEA Exams begin; access the timetable here.
- Tuesday 17th November: Teacher-Only Day — school closed except for students sitting external exams.
Arts Portfolios — deadlines and displays
Senior Art students are now ramping it up to meet the following deadlines:
- Friday 23 October — Year 11 Art, 3.30pm
- Thursday 29 Oct 3.30pm — Year 12 Sculpture, Painting, Photography, Design
- Wednesday 4 Nov 3.30pm — Year 13 Sculpture, Painting, Photography, Design, and Printmaking
You will be able to see these works in the following days. See below for portfolio exhibit dates.
- Tuesday 27 October — Year 11 Art portfolio, Riley Centre, 3.30pm- 5pm
- Friday 30 October — Year 12 Art portfolio exhibit , Riley Centre, 3.30pm- 5pm
- Monday 9 November — Year 13 Art portfolio exhibit, Art Dept, D Block , Level 2, 1pm- 5.45pm, and Tuesday 10 Nov 9am-5pm
Artist in Residence
Work is underway on the large mural for the level 2 Linkwell .
Students are most welcome to come and participate in this cool project Monday and Thursday Lunchtimes up in the upstairs art room.
12 ENR class trip: Bodhinyanarama monastery and Wellington Sikh Gurudwara
In the beautiful Bodhinyanarama monastery, tucked away at the end of Stokes Valley, our students offered food to the monks and participated in lunch. They also had the chance to speak in depth with the resident abbot, Ajahn Kusalo.
In the impressive Sikh temple the students once again made us proud with the way they engaged genuinely and open-mindedly with our host, Paramjit Singh. Thanks to the students for pushing for this trip to happen!
Creative activities are the flavour of the week in He Kākano. The students have been sketching branch and leaf patterns using Indian ink and skewers, Learning techniques using coloured pencils, and bread making.
Wellington Theatre Federation 24 hour play challenge.
Over the holiday break, Alex Quinn, Lily Mair, Parker Kemp, and Roman Barlow competed in the inaugural 24 hour play competition at the Gryphon Theatre.
They were the only school entry with an average age at least 10 years younger than the other crews. They did a fantastic job and ended up with two awards for “Pinteresque Pauses”, and for “Fantastic Structure and Acting”.
Rotary National Science and Technology Forum
Year 12 Ryan Bright will attend the 2021 Rotary National Science and Technology Forum for two weeks in Auckland next January. Ryan will be one of 120 students from around the country to attend the forum, which caters for high achieving, well-rounded science, maths and technology students in Year 12 at New Zealand Secondary Schools. He was selected by the Rotary Club of Wellington to receive their endorsement, and his registration will be 50% funded by the club. At the forum Ryan will have the opportunity to work in the laboratories and field stations of Auckland’s tertiary institutions, meet experts and learn about recent developments. He will visit organisations such as Landcare Research, ESR Forensics and Fisher & Paykel.
Underwater Hockey Success
The Underwater Hockey season finished on the last night of term 3. During the round robin part of the season, the Junior Open A team won 10 from 10. On finals night they also won a tense semi-final against HIBS before succumbing to Wellington College A in the gold medal match. Their 4-2 win over Wellington College A in the round robin was amazing, especially considering that Wellington College A placed 3rd at nationals last year.