Wellington High School is an exciting place. It is the only state co-educational secondary school in the Wellington inner city area. The school values diversity and students do not wear a school uniform. We have a roll of 1400 students and generally have 75 – 80 international students from over 20 different countries.
Wellington High School has a highly qualified and experienced teaching staff who work hard to ensure that their students feel at home, enjoy their studies and succeed.
Classrooms are modern and comfortably furnished with data projectors, interactive whiteboards for mathematics lessons and wireless internet. The school provides:
- two gymnasiums
- seven science laboratories
- seven computer suites
- five well-equipped modern technology workshops
- two industrial kitchens, including a barista station
- digital and traditional photography rooms
- a music suite with a band room, practice rooms, recording studio, and a variety of musical instruments
- A dedicated International student lunch room with a kitchen
- school cafeteria providing meals for purchase at morning tea and lunchtime
- large well-stocked library that is a hub for research and socialising
- renowned Art Deco school hall (the Riley Centre ) used by many Wellington groups
- access to three in-house counsellors
- basketball courts, a large rugby/soccer pitch.
“Students benefit from the strong schoolwide focus on inclusion. The positive climate and genuine celebration of cultural diversity means that they know that their identity and values are recognised and respected. Relationships amongst students and teachers are positive and respectful.”
Education Review Office Report – 2018
Wellington High School is a ten minute walk from the centre of Wellington, the capital city of New Zealand. Wellington (Te Whanganui-a-tara) is a beautiful harbour city at the bottom of the North Island and has a compact and walkable central city. Wellington is the second most populous city in New Zealand with 415,000 residents and is a safe, creative and friendly city to study in.