Welcome back for Term 2
- Monday 7 May – Senior Parent-Teacher Interviews (Years 11-13), 3.30pm to 7pm
- Monday 14 May – BoT meeting
- Tuesday 22 May – Feeder school visits (School start at 8.45am and ends at 12pm)
- Tuesday 29 May – Feeder school visits (School start at 8.45am and ends at 12pm)
- Thursday 31 May – Paid Union Meeting (School closes at 12.20pm)
- Friday 1 June – Teacher-Only Day (School is closed)
- Monday 4 June – Queen’s Birthday (School is closed)
- Monday 11 June – Open Evening, 6pm
- Monday 18 June – BoT meeting
- Friday 29 June – International dinner, 6pm
- Tuesday 3 July – Music evening, 7pm
Changes to timing on school dates this term
This term we have a few events which will mean that school hours change on the day.
- Tuesday 22 May – Feeder school visits 1 – School will start at 8.45am and finish at 12pm on this day. Intermediate and primary feeder schools will be visiting us in the afternoon.
- Tuesday 29 May – Feeder school visits 2 – School will start at 8.45am and finish at 12pm on this day.
- Thursday 31 May – PPTA Paid Union Meeting – school finishes at 12.20pm on this day although supervision will be available until 3.20pm if required. You will receive separate notice of this event.
- Friday 1 June – Teacher Only Day – the school will be closed on this day.
- Monday 11 June – Open Evening: School will finish at 3pm on this day.
Check your details are up-to-date
A reminder that if you have had a change of address or email, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parent and student portals
These have recently been updated and you will notice changes in the layout. Please let us know if you can’t find what you are looking for. Portals can be accessed here:
VUW Maths Challenge
On the last Friday of the school holidays, ten students from Years 10 to 13 represented Wellington High School at the annual VUW Maths Challenge. They spent two hours answering Mathematics and Statistics problems and then Jeb Dudfield was selected to represent our school in a Mū Tōrere tournament (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mū_tōrere) in which he advanced through to the semi-final round.
All of the students can be very proud of themselves. They worked well together, tackled some tricky questions, had fun and represented our school with pride. Congratulations to Peregrin Shaw, Thomas Stevenson, Zachary Taylor, Tabitha Batcheler, Ash Paki, Elijah Guarina, Mint Xiao, Jeb Dudfield, Alexa Lee and Benjamin Yin.
Tickets now on sale for the Shakespeare Society show
‘Much Ado About Nothing’
This is the Shakespeare Society’s 27th production and is entirely student-run.
It runs from Sunday 6th — Friday 11th May.
Doors open at 6.15pm.
Book tickets through Student Services
$10 waged; $5 unwaged
Before & after, straight from the horticulture garden to the plate. Our food technology students made coriander and cashew pesto!
Outdoor Education trip to Castlepoint
Year 12 Outdoor Education class headed to Castlepoint during the term break for a three day camp. Captured here are some of the activities such as group yoga & balancing Mina. Hannah and Mati, two of our international students are sitting on a rock with stunning scenery.
Success in the pool!
Orlando Cristobal-Mandel, 14 years old (Year 10), won three gold medals at the 2018 AON National Age Group Championships for swimming over the holidays. He earned first place in the 50 Meter Breaststroke, 100 Meter Breaststroke, and 200 Meter Breaststroke events.
The 2018 AON National Age Group Championships (NAGS) is the pinnacle age group competition held by Swimming New Zealand, held 17-21 April at the National Aquatic Centre on Auckland’s North Shore. The AON NAG’s is a chance to see New Zealand top age group swimmers and clubs battle it out in the pool over 5 days and 44 events.
Gold in diving
Liberty McIntryre-Reet won gold in 4 events at the National Diving Championships in Dunedin in the Holidays: 1m open age group, 1m under 18’s, 3m under 18’s, 3m synchronised.
Congratulations also to Ben Colson, Hugo Moffat, and Isaac Carran who also dived at this event.
Hayley Bulmer won the bronze medal in Gymnastics at the Regional Competition, called the Excel Festival, held at Rimutaka Gym. The scores were the Vault: 9.2, Bar 8.7, Beam 9 and Floor 8.8.
Well done Hayley!!
From the International Department
From the International Department
This week we have welcomed three new international students
Momoko Sato from Japan comes from Sapporo High School, our sister school. Two Wellington High students will soon be heading off to Saporro for 2 months. There will be a great opportunity for them to meet and chat with Momoko before they leave. Momoko is studying in year 12 and will be with us for a full year.
Hang Tran has arrived from Vietnam and is also studying in year 12. Hang will complete her secondary schooling at Wellington High. We now have quite a sizeable Vietnamese community of students.
Paula Schossau comes from Germany and is also studying in year 12. Paula arrived in Wellington one month ago and so is nicely settled.
Image: From L to R: Paula, Momoko and Hang