Year 9 and 10 Short Courses
Last week, students chose their short courses for Monday – Wednesday of Week 9. Most students will be taking a morning course and an afternoon course. If your student has not chosen a short course, they should see Ms Southwell.
There is an exciting range of courses on offer, from Spanish cooking, to Tramping the Tararuas and Rocket Science.
Changes to the school day
During short courses the hours of the school day will be 9am – 3pm.
- 9am – 12 noon Morning course
- 12 noon – 1pm Lunch break
- 1pm – 3pm Afternoon course
The courses will be visible on the students’ timetables through the portal and they will bring home a paper copy of their timetable by Friday this week.
Staff running courses will communicate what equipment students will need. Some courses may have costs associated with them such as snapper cards or admission fees. If doing an offsite course they should come prepared for any type of weather.
Rōpū Days — Thursday 13th December
Year 9 Beach Day
This is a great tradition at Wellington High School. Year 9 classes celebrate finishing their first year at high school with a day at the beach. Students need to be at Scorching Bay beach (around from Seatoun) by 10am on this day.
- We will all leave the beach from about 2pm. Students will make their own way home. Many will walk together to Seatoun to catch the buses that depart from there.
- Transport: They need to make their own way there as we do not provide transport.
- Bus: The number 2 bus stops at Ferry street in Seatoun, which is the best stop to get off. We will have a staff member there between 8.45 and 9.45 to direct students where to go. Students will be sent off in walking groups for safety. The walk takes around 30 minutes. Class rolls will be taken at the beach.
- We will have a range of activities and a BBQ lunch. Students who want to go to the cafe by the beach must be accompanied by a staff member.
- Bring: Students need to make sure they all bring water, sunscreen, a hat, as well as togs and a towel if they are brave enough to swim.
- Wet weather plan: If the weather is not good on this day, we will have activities at school instead. We will either cancel the beach day the day before (on Thursday) and let you know before you go home, or we will notify you on our website, the WHS app and through our Facebook and Twitter accounts. Please check these on the day if you are unsure.
To celebrate their graduation from the Junior school, each Tukutahi group has organised a day of activities. Activity outlines are below; for further information please contact your student’s rōpū teacher.
- 10 Howell 1 & 2 – Botanical Gardens picnic and Laserforce. Meet at Magpie Lawn ( Botanical Gardens) at 9.30am.
- 10 Kelly 1 & 2 – Island Bay Beach picnic and Swimming. Meet at Shoreland Park entrance at 9.30am.
- 10 Riley 1 & 2 – Movie and games at Waitangi Park. Meet outside Taraika (school marae) at 8.45am
- 10 Royal 1 & 2 – Laserforce, beach Picnic and games. Meet in E104 at 9.30am. Beach group – meet in M209 by 9.30am.
- 10 Royal 3 – Mt Kaukau walk and Khandallah Pool. Meet at Wellington Railway Station at 8.40am.
Final day: Friday 14 December – Last day of school for 2018
- 8.45am – Students go to rōpū class
- 9.35am – Classes make their way to the Hall for Junior Prizegiving
- 10.00am – Junior Prizegiving. We aim to end at 12:00 noon.