11am Saturday 10 September

SKI TRIP UPDATE: the group will not be looking to leave the mountain until at least 3pm. They want to ensure that the road is ice free and no risks will be taken. If they aren’t 100% certain they will stay another night. Please note that media are reporting other leaving times. This is not correct. The school website, Facebook and Twitter will keep you informed of the situation.




Media Statement                                                                                    9 September 2016

A group of Year 13 Outdoor Education and Physical Education students and teachers from Wellington High School are currently waiting out the results of the recent weather event at Tukino Ski Field Lodge.

The students were on the mountain as part of the senior Outdoor Education and Physical Education programme doing skiing and snowboarding.  This is an annual trip to Tukino Ski Field.  The teachers involved are experienced with both outdoor pursuits and running school camps.

Unfortunately, the southerly has affected the ability for the group to leave as scheduled.  While they are unable to leave, they are safely accommodated in Tukino Ski Field Lodge and are safe, warm, dry and being well fed.  They are enjoying an authentic mountain experience and are spending time helping out with a younger group who are also at the lodge.

Their time of departure from the lodge is being reviewed regularly and is weather dependant.  The Tukino management, and our staff, have decided that the safest place for them is to stay put and we support this decision.

We are looking forward to welcoming them back and hearing all about it.


Contact : Trish Tuthill, Executive Assistant to Principal, admin@whs.school.nz